Historic Doulton's pottery building

Our Story

In 1815 John Doulton didn't know he could move mountains. But he invested his life savings, £100, in a small London pottery operation. Call it luck, wisdom or business acumen, but from a maker of storage jars and ceramic sewage pipes grew a leader in design-driven, technically innovative manufacturer of fine tableware. Ours is a story of many firsts, from innovating new materials and glazing techniques, to collaborating from the beginning with artists and designers, and focusing on educating and empowering women. In the course of 200 years, our focus on bringing premium quality and exceptional design to everybody's table has been a resounding success. Earning us not one but two Royal Warrants, and the continuing love of fans the world over. And although city regulations pushed the Factory out of London in the late 1950s, London hasn't left Royal Doulton. Today, more than ever, we are firmly embedded in and draw our deepest inspiration from the stories and flavors of the village of our home town - London.

 1815 John Doulton invests his life-savings of £100 in a pot-house in Lambeth, London. They produce drain pipes, pottery and storage jars.
 1829 New Doulton water filters render Thames river water safe to drink. Queen Victoria commissions a water filter for the Royal household
 1835 John’s son Henry joins the business, paving the path to unprecedented success.
 1863 Employment of young London artists from the Lambeth School of Art begins, with results impressing art critics, the public and Queen Victoria.
 1877 Henry Doulton takes a share in an earthenware factory in Burslem, Stoke-on-Trent, the heart of ‘The Potteries’.
 1880's The Lambeth Pottery employs over 200 artists and designers from the Art School, many of them women.
 1887 Henry Doulton becomes the first potter in history to be awarded the knighthood.
 1890's Major contribution to London’s architectural fittings, tiles and decoration on landmark buildings from Harrods Knightsbridge to Savoy and Selfridges

 1901  Royal Doulton is born after receiving a Royal Warrant, and permission to use the word ‘Royal’ in our name. 
 1955  New City regulations prohibit salt glaze production, forcing closure of the Lambeth factory and transfer of all production to ‘The Potteries” in Stoke-on-Trent.
 1960  New English Translucent China offers the qualities of fine bone china at a modest cost.
 1978  Original Doulton House tiles transferred to the Victoria and Albert Museum in London.
 2010's  New brand direction embraces the urban culture and eclectic style of the city.
 2010's  Collaborations with London designers, artists and craftsmen include Barber & Osgerby, Charlene Mullen, Pure Evil, Nick Walker and Gordon Ramsay.
 2012  Launch of the 1815 collection spearheads our push to capture evolving dining trends and help reposition the brand.
 2015  200 year anniversary
 2018  Our instagram community reaches 15,000
 2020  Renewed Royal Doulton brand launches

We are sorry!

It seems we have currently technical difficulties. Please try again later