Perfectly Poached Eggs with Avocado
Breakfast in bed or a brunch shared with friends; these poached eggs are perfect every single time. Spice them up with chilli flakes or simply enjoy them as they are, and savour every bite along the way.
Preparation time: 10 minutes
Cook time: 10 minutes
- 2 large eggs (make sure they're fresh!)
- 1 medium ripe avocado
- 2 slices of seeded wholemeal bread
- 1 handful of rocket
- 1 handful of spinach
- Crushed Black Pepper
- Crushed Chilli Flakes (optional)
- Salted Butter
- Fill a saucepan with three to four inches of water and heat it until the water starts to bubble - you don't want it to boil.
- Add a tablespoon of vinegar to the bubbling water; you won't be able to taste it when it is served, so don't skip this step!
- Break one egg into a shallow bowl or pinch pot. If you don't have either of these, a shallow teacup or mug works a treat; this will help to keep the egg yolk intact.
- With a whisk or fork, slowly start the water spinning inside the saucepan to create a gentle vortex. Carefully pour your egg into the centre of the vortex.
Tip: the closer you can get to the saucepan to pour, the less chance you have of breaking the egg yolk.
- Leave the egg to poach for one and a half to two minutes until the egg whites are firm, but the yolks are still runny. Use a tablespoon to gently lift the poaching egg from the water if you're unsure.
- Repeat steps 3-4 for each serving of poached eggs.
- Halve and remove the stone from the avocado, then, using a tablespoon, remove the skin from the body of the avocado and cut it into even slices.
- Toast the seeded wholemeal slices as required and butter to your taste.
- Add a mixture of rocket and spinach to the buttered toast, layer over the sliced avocado and place on your poached eggs. Garnish with a sprinkling of crushed black pepper and if you're feeling spicy, add the crushed chilli flakes.
Best served with your favourite morning drink, free from distractions. Enjoy every bite and appreciate every moment.