When cake is off the menu, have a couple of these to keep the sweet cravings at bay.
Carrot Cake Macaroons
Carrot Cake MacaroonsThese macaroons are not to be muddled up with French macarons, which are those delicate meringue spaceships that are full of sugar and can be a bit tricky to cook outside a professional pastry kitchen.
Makes 18 macaroons.
200g unsweetened desiccated coconut
1 1/5 tsp ground cinnamon
1 tsp ground ginger
12 tsp freshly grated nutmeg
50g walnuts chopped
1 large carrot grated
75g golden caster sugar
4 egg whites
Pinch of salt
1. Preheat the oven to 170°C/gas 3.
2. Put the coconut, cinnamon, ginger and nutmeg into a bowl and mix well.
3. Add the chopped walnuts, grated carrot, sugar, egg whites and a pinch of salt and mix together until everything is fully incorporated.
4. Line a baking tray with greaseproof paper and drop 18-20 heaped dessertspoons of the mixture on the tray, leaving a gap of at least 1cm between them. Shape the mounds so that they are roughly circular.
5. Put the tray into the preheated oven and bake for 15-20 minutes, until golden and firm on the outside. Leave to cool on a wire rack before serving.