Start your weekend off right with this festive brunch recipe.
Gordon Ramsay's Huevos Rancheros Recipe for Cinco de Mayo
This tasty Gordon Ramsay Huevos Rancheros recipe is from his new book; Ultimate Fit Food, and is ideal for sharing with friends and family. Make brunch more festive by serving things up in Bread Street Handled Servers. For an extra kick, use left-over tomato juice to whip up a Bloody Mary and enjoy the day!
Huevos RancherosServes 2
2 x 14 oz tins chopped tomatoes
.07 oz olive oil
1 red onion, peeled and diced
1 garlic clove, peeled and sliced
1 green pepper, deseeded and finely diced
1 dried chipotle chilli
1 red chilli, deseeded and finely sliced
Small bunch of coriander, roughly chopped Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
1. Open one of the tins of tomatoes and tip the contents into a sieve to drain off approximately half the liquid. Set to one side and use the juice for another dish (or in the bloody Marys!)
2. Place a medium frying pan over a medium-high heat and add the oil. When hot, add the red onion, garlic, green pepper and the chipotle and red chillies. Fry the vegetables together for 3 minutes, until just starting to soften.
3. Pour in the drained tomatoes as well as the complete tin of tomatoes, season with salt and pepper, and bring to the boil. Reduce the heat to a simmer and cook for 2 minutes.
4. Make 4 wells in the tomato sauce and crack an egg into each one. Cover with a lid and cook for 8 minutes, until the whites have set but the yolks are still runny.
5. Heat the tortillas according to the packet instructions.
6. Serve the eggs and tomato sauce on top of the warm tortillas with a generous sprinkling of chopped coriander.