The Grown-Up Cheese Toastie
RecipeA modern take on a comforting classic, this grown-up cheese toastie is everything you need. Perfect as a late lunch or an evening snack, notice how the pancetta and the wild garlic elevate the flavour and texture. Easy to prepare and easy to make, tuck in and indulge with every taste.
Preparation time: 10 minutes
Cook time: 20 minutes
4 Sourdough Loaf slices
4 Pancetta Slices
100g Mature Cheddar
A hand full of Wild Garlic Leaves
Crushed Black Pepper
1. Heat a large frying pan over medium heat; we like to use a heavy cast-iron skillet; there’s no need to add butter or oil directly to the pan as the bread will take care of that.
2. Butter single sides on all slices of bread; these will be placed butter down onto the surface of the skillet or frying pan.
3. Place two slices of bread into the pan, and toast them until they start to brown slightly.
4. While waiting for the slices to brown, cut up the pancetta into pieces; they can be as big or as small as you like.
5. Add the pancetta slices, mature cheddar and wild garlic to the top of each piece of bread, and add a sprinkle of crushed black pepper to suit.
6. Top these with the remaining two slices of bread and cook until the cheese starts to melt and the underside of the sourdough is golden brown.
7. Using a spatula, carefully flip the toastie over and cook until golden brown and the cheese starts to ooze.
8. Remove from the heat and serve with care as the toasties will be super hot inside.
Serve with a chilled drink or a mug of tea, and enjoy your grown-up cheese toastie.